Cachapas (Venezuelan Corn Cakes)
Cachapas, like arepas, are popular at roadside stands. They are often served with queso de mano (hand cheese), a soft, mozzarella-like cheese.
2 qts. whole kernel frozen corn, thawed
1 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup rice oil
2 tbsp. granulated beet sugar
2 tsp. rice
1/2 cup oil
1. Place all ingredients into food processor or blender and process until fairly smooth but still a little chunky. Add water as needed to give batter consistency similar to thin pancake or crêpe batter.
2. Taste and correct seasonings. Check and correct consistency if required.
3. Place mixture in container and chill to 40°F or below.
4. For service: Spread thin coat of oil on flattop and heat to 350°F.
5. Ladle 1/2 cup of batter for each corn cake onto flattop, spreading out each cake like a pancake.
6. Turn when surface bubbles and bottom is golden brown, about 2 to 2 1/2 mins. Brown other side.
7. Shingle 16 corn cakes into each 2-in. full pan.
Recipe by University of Colorado at Boulder