Broccolini with Walnut and Red Pepper Relish
Broccolini, also known as baby broccoli, Chinese broccoli or Chinese kale, boasts long tender stalks, small florets and a subtle-sweet flavor with a peppery kick. Chef Isabella intensifies the peppery notes with a red pepper relish infused with pickled peppadew and cherry peppers. Crumbled feta cheese mellows out the heat and toasted walnuts add crunch.
Walnut and Red Pepper Relish
2 red bell peppers
¼ cup plus 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
Table salt, to taste
1 cup walnuts, toasted
3 pickled peppadew peppers, finely chopped
1 pickled red cherry pepper, stem and seeds removed, finely chopped
1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
½ tsp. kosher salt
4 qt. water
2 tbsp. kosher salt
24 stalks broccolini
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
Broken walnuts, for garnish
- Prepare Walnut and Red Pepper Relish: Preheat broiler on high. Brush bell peppers with 2 tbsp. olive oil and sprinkle with table salt.
- Place peppers on baking sheet under broiler. Broil 5 min. on all sides for a total of 20 to 25 min. Skins will become charred and the flesh, soft.
- Place peppers in a glass bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Let cool at room temperature 20 min.
- Meanwhile, chop walnuts. Slice cooled peppers lengthwise in half and remove skin, ribs and seeds. Dice finely and toss with walnuts, peppadews, cherry pepper, ¼ cup olive oil, red wine vinegar and salt. Set aside at room temperature.
- Prepare Broccolini: Bring water and salt to a boil in a stockpot. Set a bowl of ice water on the side. Trim 1 in. from end of broccolini stem and discard. Blanch broccolini in boiling water 1 min. and shock in ice water until chilled. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Arrange broccolini on serving dish; top with roasted pepper relish and crumbled feta cheese. Garnish with broken walnuts. Serve family-style at room temperature.