Broccoli & Cheese Strata
Strata is the lasagna of the breakfast table and this version features broccoli, Tabasco sauce and cheddar cheese.
33/4 cups milk
13/4 cups liquid eggs
1/4 tsp. Tabasco sauce
1/4 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 tsp. soy sauce
1 tbs. butter or margarine
2 oz. yellow onions, diced
18 slices whole-wheat sandwich bread
8 oz. cheddar cheese, grated
11/4 lbs. broccoli florets, blanched, shocked
3/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. white pepper
1 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded
1. Combine first five ingredients and set aside. Butter 21/2-in. hotel pan and sprinkle onions in it. Lay six slices of bread in bottom and press flat.
2. Divide first amount of cheese and broccoli in half and put half of each on top of bread. Sprinkle half of salt and pepper on top. Repeat and put a third layer of bread on top.
3. Press down firmly so everything is below top of pan. Stir liquid and gently pour over top, making sure to soak bread.
4. Top with foil tent and place in 350°F oven, not convection oven. Bake for 1¼ hour and then check. When center is puffed up, dish is ready.
5. Sprinkle remaining cheddar over top and return to oven for few minutes to melt. Rest for 10 mins.
Recipe by University of Texas, Austin