Braised Short Ribs
This recipe features a short rib so tender the meat falls off the bone. Slow-cooking in an aromatic stock is responsible for the full-bodied flavor.
2 tbsp. olive oil
6 lb. meaty beef short ribs
1 large onion, chopped
2 carrots, diced
2 celery ribs, chopped
2 cups dry red wine
2 cups beef stock
4 sprigs thyme
1 bay leaf
1. Preheat oven to 325 F. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in large ovenproof pot. Dust ribs with flour; brown in batches. Remove ribs and reserve.
2. In 2 tablespoons of drippings, saute onion, carrots and celery for 10 minutes over medium heat, or until soft. Add wine and broth and bring to a boil; add thyme, bay leaf and ribs. (Ribs should be covered by liquid; if not, add more stock or water to cover.)
3. Cover pot tightly and transfer to oven. Cook 3 hours or until ribs are very tender; remove and keep warm.
4. Strain braising liquid and return to pot; cook until reduced and thickened.
5. Serve ribs over bean ragout topped with braising jus.