Bourbon Smoked Duck Salad with Sweet Tea Dressing
This hearty salad features duck brushed with Maker's Mark barbecue sauce, mixed greens, pecans and a sweet tea dressing made with honey.
1 smoked duck breast, about 12 oz.
1⁄4 cup Maker’s Mark barbecue sauce
1 tbsp. light brown sugar
2 corn muffins, cubed
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 cups pecan halves
1⁄2 cup brown sugar
1⁄4 cup melted butter
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tea bag
1⁄3 cup cider vinegar
2 tsp. honey
1 cup canola oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1 qt. mixed salad greens
Croutons for garnish
Pecans, halved for garnish
1. Place duck breast on broiler pan. Brush generously with barbecue sauce mixed with sugar and place under salamander until cooked and well caramelized. Cool and slice thinly.
2. Toss corn muffin cubes with oil and toast in preheated 350°F convection oven, until light brown, about 7 minutes.
3. Toss pecans with sugar, butter, nutmeg and cinnamon. Place nuts on sheet pan lined with parchment paper, cook in preheated 350°F convection oven, stirring after five minutes, until nuts start to smell nutty and caramelized, about 10 to 15 minutes. Keep stirring until cooled. Note: This can be made ahead and sealed in an airtight container.
4. For sweet tea dressing, steep tea in warmed vinegar for 1 minute; do not boil. Cool, remove tea bag and mix with honey. Whisk in oil to emulsify and season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Toss salad greens with dressing. Divide into two bowls and top with sliced duck, croutons and
Recipe by Masonic Village, Lafayette Hill, Pa.