Bourbon Pecan Waffles
Crisp and golden waffles are made of a batter full of pecans and flavored with bourbon. Topped by syrup that is also flavored by pecans and bourbon this is a decadent treat.
1/2 lb. butter
1 cup pecan halves
1 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup bourbon
Nonstick cooking spray
2 eggs, separated
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup chopped pecans
2 tbsp. sugar
1/4 lb. butter, melted
1/2 cup bourbon
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup crème fraîche (for garnish)
1. Prepare syrup: Melt butter over med. heat in a 10-in. skillet; add pecans and cook for 3 min., stirring constantly, until pecans are well toasted and lightly colored.
2. Pour in maple syrup as butter begins to foam. Remove skillet from heat and carefully add bourbon.
3. Return to heat and cook for 1 more min. Syrup may be made well in advance and rewarmed before serving.
4. For waffles: Spray a waffle iron with nonstick cooking spray and preheat it. Preheat oven to 200°F.
5. In a mixing bowl, whip egg whites to medium-stiff peaks. Combine egg yolks, flour, pecans, sugar, butter, bourbon, vanilla, baking powder, and buttermilk in a food processor and mix until smooth. Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl and fold in egg whites.
6. With a ladle, fill waffle iron with batter and cook until waffle is golden brown, about 8 min. Place waffle on a wire rack on a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven. Repeat until all batter is used.
7. Serve waffles with pecan-butter syrup and a dollop of crème fraîche.