Bourbon-Grilled Jumbo Shrimp
Marinated, grilled shrimp skewers, basted with a bourbon-butter sauce. Serve with Creamed Corn Sauce and Lobster-Basil Hush Puppies.
1 tbsp. minced garlic
1 tbsp. chopped fresh basil
1 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
1⁄2 cup olive oil
36 jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails left on
8 tbsp. unsalted butter
1 tbsp. light brown sugar
1 tbsp. bourbon
Salt and pepper, to taste
Creamed Corn Sauce
Lobster-Basil Hush Puppies (recipe follows)
1 cup + 1 tsp. self-rising flour
1 cup + 1 tsp. yellow cornmeal
2 tbsp. sugar
1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
1⁄4 tsp. white pepper
1 cup buttermilk
2 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
1⁄2 cup chopped, cooked lobster meat
1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
Peanut oil, for frying
1. Combine garlic, basil, pepper, and oil; add shrimp. Marinate 1 hr. refrigerated.
2. Melt butter, add brown sugar, bourbon, salt, and pepper and cook 3-5 min., or until the mixture foams; set aside.
3. Working with six shrimp at a time, lay the shrimp flat, side by side, and all turned the same way. Push 2 soaked wooden skewers through each set of six, sliding one skewer through at the point where the meat and tail meet and the second skewer through at the other end. This will keep the shrimp from twisting.
4. Grill shrimp 2-3 min. per side, basting with bourbon butter, and again when they come off of the grill. Serve immediately, with Creamed Corn Sauce and Lobster-Basil Hush Puppies.
1. Combine 1 cup flour, 1 cup cornmeal, sugar, salt and pepper; mix well. Whisk together eggs, buttermilk, and butter; stir into dry ingredients. Fold in lobster and basil and let set for 15 min.
2. Heat oil to 350°F. Drop batter by tablespoonfuls into hot oil, being careful not to crowd hushpuppies. Fry 3-4 min., stirring to brown evenly, until golden.
Yield: 3 dozen.