Blueberry Basmati Rice Pudding with Blueberry Cassis Sorbet
For a healthy dessert try this blueberry rice pudding, which features crème de cassis, honey and vanilla.
21⁄2 cups fresh blueberries, divided
1⁄4 cup sugar
2 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tbsp. crème de cassis
5 cups milk
1⁄3 cup basmati rice
1⁄2 cup sugar
1⁄2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 81⁄2-in. round rice paper spring roll wrapper
1 tsp. honey
1⁄2 cup heavy cream
1⁄2 tsp. sugar
For Blueberry Cassis Sorbet:
1. In blender, purée 2 cups blueberries, ¼ cup sugar, lemon juice and crème de cassis.
2. Transfer purée to ice cream maker; freeze according to directions.
3. Pack sorbet into freezer container until ready to use.
For Rice Pudding:
1. In large saucepan, bring milk to a boil. Add rice; reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
2. Add ½ cup sugar and cook, stirring frequently, until pudding is thin consistency, 20 to 30 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.
3. Divide pudding into 6 ½-oz. serving dishes. Cool to room temperature; chill until ready to use.
For Crisp Rice Paper Rounds:
1. Preheat oven to 300°F. With scissors, cut 6 2½-in. rounds from spring roll wrapper. Brush lightly with honey; place on parchment-lined baked sheet.
2. Bake for 10 minutes; cool to room temperature.
3. In medium bowl, whip cream with ½ tsp. sugar until soft peaks form. Spoon cream onto rice pudding. Place ¼ cup oval ice cream scoop of sorbet on top of pudding. Sprinkle with remaining blueberries; garnish with Crisp Rice Paper Round.
Recipe by Morgan Stanley EDR (Restaurant Associates)