Black-Eyed Pea and Spinach Salad
Scrumptious black-eyed peas and sugar coated pecans give this spinach salad great texture and flavor. A spicy bacon dressing adds a nice finishing touch.
1 1⁄2 cups sugar
1⁄2 cup water
2 cups Georgia pecan halves
2 tbsp. orange juice
Rind of 2 oranges, grated
8 slices bacon, cooked, crumbled
4 red onions, thinly sliced
1 cup red wine vinegar
1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
1⁄2 cup water
1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar
Hot pepper sauce, to taste
Salt and pepper, to taste
8 cups black-eyed peas, cooked, drained
20 oz. spinach, cleaned, trimmed
4 cups cucumber, thinly sliced
1. For pecans: In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, combine sugar and water until mixture boils. Cook, stirring until syrup reaches 240° F. on a candy thermometer.
2. Remove pan from heat and stir in pecans, orange juice, and grated rind. Stir until mixture begins to look grainy, then spread on waxed paper to cool.
3. In a skillet over medium heat, fry bacon; drain on paper towels. Crumble bacon and
4. To hot bacon fat, add onion and sauté 4 min. Add vinegar, oil, water, brown sugar, and pepper sauce. Season to taste.
5. Bring mixture to a boil, scraping pan; reduce mixture by half.
6. In a large bowl, combine peas and bacon dressing; toss. Cover and chill.
7. To serve, arrange spinach on a plate, drain peas and mound on top. Garnish with bacon, pecans, and cucumber. Serve.