BBQ Chicken Pizza with Grapes
Pizza, one of kids’ best-loved foods, is a canvas for customization. The fast-growing DIY assembly-line pizza concepts are capitalizing on this idea and becoming an increasingly popular destination for family visits. Chef Samuel suggests topping the dough with barbecued chicken, mozzarella and fresh grapes, adding a serving of fruit to the pizza meal.
12 oz. skinless chicken breasts
3/4 cup barbecue sauce, divided
2 balls pizza dough, 6 oz. each
All-purpose flour, for dusting
1/4 cup olive oil
4 oz. mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced or shredded
2 cups seedless red grapes
16 basil leaves, torn
2 oz. grated pecorino Romano cheese
- In bowl, toss chicken with 1/2 cup barbecue sauce. Grill chicken over medium heat until nicely charred and cooked through, about 10 minutes total. Cool and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Place a baking stone on middle shelf of oven; preheat to 450° for at least 30 minutes. Make 1 pizza at a time unless your peel and oven can accommodate both pizzas. Roll out dough ball and transfer to a peel or inverted sheet pan that has been dusted with flour.
- Mix olive oil with remaining 1/4 cup barbecue sauce; spread 2 tbsp. sauce over surface of dough, leaving a 1/4-in. border uncovered. Arrange half the mozzarella over top of pizza; place half the diced BBQ chicken evenly over pizza. Top with 1 cup red grapes.
- Carefully slide pizza from peel to baking stone. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until crust is puffy and slightly charred on edge.
- Remove from oven; top with fresh basil and 1 T. grated pecorino.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients to make the second pizza; slice into quarters and serve.