This savory flatbread makes for substantial snacking, especially when accompanied by a glass of beer or wine. Chef O’Grady imparts big flavor with a blend of cheeses, smoky bacon and a zingy housemade barbeque sauce. Menu the flatbread as a shareable treat to enjoy with snacking companions in early evening or late night.
1 cup ketchup
2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
2 tbsp. brewed coffee
2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
2 tbsp. hot sauce
2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp. molasses
2 tbsp. barbeque sauce
1/2 cup julienned red onion
1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
Kosher salt, to taste
1 (8-oz.) ball pizza dough, proofed
1/2 cup (2 oz.) smoked cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
1/2 cup (2 oz.) smoked gouda cheese, coarsely grated
1/4 cup (1 oz.) fontina cheese, coarsely grated
12 shrimp, peeled, deveined, tails removed and seared until just cooked
6 slices applewood smoked bacon, cut in half, cooked crisp
1 tbsp. sliced scallions
- Prepare Barbeque Sauce: In small bowl, whisk all ingredients together until blended; set aside. (Makes about 2/3 cup; reserve leftover for other uses.)
- In another small bowl, mix red onion, vinegar, 1 tsp. olive oil and salt; set aside.
- Preheat grill to med.-high. Oil back of flat metal tray with 1 tsp. olive oil. Press dough into 12 by 15-in. rectangle on back of tray. Place dough side of pan directly on grill. Grill 1 min. Gently remove tray, starting at front edge and using metal spatula if necessary. Continue grilling dough for about 5 min., watching carefully to avoid burning. Flip dough and move to cooler spot on grill.
- Spread entire crust surface with barbecue sauce and top with cheeses. Place shrimp evenly over top and cook flatbread until crisp and bubbly.
- Just before removing from grill, arrange bacon on top. Remove to cutting board and cut into 12 squares. Top with pickled red onions and scallions. Serve immediately.