Baked Louisiana Oysters with Bacon and Fresh Thyme
It’s true; bacon can be added to almost everything, including this oyster dish. Featuring fresh mozzarella and bacon, this seafood dish is great for a special menu item.
1/4 lb. butter
1/4 cup chicken stock
8 strips cooked chopped bacon, including reserved bacon drippings
Salt and pepper, to taste
6 springs cut fresh thyme
1 tsp. chopped parsley
1 tsp. chopped chive
12 large-sized oysters, shucked, reserved
1 oz. (per oyster) fresh mozzarella, cubed
1/2 lemon, per every 2 oysters
1 cup flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
2/3 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
3 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
- In small sauce pan, melt butter and add chicken stock.
- Add mixture to cornbread (recipe to follow) in serving bowl.
- Add chopped bacon and reserved drippings to Cornbread mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mixture should be moist but not soggy.
- Add remaining ingredients, except mozzarella and lemon. Mix lightly.
- Spoon mixture onto each oyster. Place one cube of mozzarella on center of mixture.
- Bake at 350°F for 10 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and squeeze lemon juice over each oyster.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Grease 9-inch pan.
- In large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder.
- Stir in egg, milk and vegetable oil, until well combined.
- Pour into pan.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- When cooled, break up into tiny pieces and set aside.