Baingan Bharta (North Indian Eggplant)
Baingan Bharta is a vegetarian dish popular in Indian and Pakistani cuisine. Eggplant is grilled to infuse the dish with a smoky flavor. This version also features yellow onions, plum tomatoes, jalapeño and ginger.
2 lb. eggplant
31⁄2 tbsp. canola oil
7 oz. yellow onions, cut in 3⁄4-in. dice
11⁄2 tbsp. ginger, minced
1 tbsp. jalapeño, seeded, minced
1⁄2 tsp. paprika
2 pinches ground cayenne pepper
13 oz. fresh plum tomatoes, cut in 1-in. dice
1 tsp. salt
1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1. Cut eggplant in half, lengthwise. Poke skin a few times. Spray flesh with cooking oil. Do not spray skin. Place flesh side down on sheet pan. Roast in 350°F preheated oven for 40 minutes or until very soft.
Cool enough to scoop pulp, discard skin and rough chop eggplant.
2. Heat canola oil, add onions and sauté until soft, about 4 minutes.
3. Add ginger and jalapeño and heat for 3 to 4 minutes, until cooked.
4. Add diced eggplant, paprika and cayenne. Over medium-low flame, sauté for 10 to 15 minutes and stir occasionally until eggplant is light golden in color.
5. Stir in tomatoes and salt. Cook for additional 10 minutes, or until tomatoes break down a little but are still chunky and oil just starts to separate.
6. Stir in cilantro, season to taste. Serve 1⁄2 cup per portion.
Recipe by Sodexo Corporate Services, gaithersburg, md.