This popular item at Oregon State University (OSU), served in the university’s Southern barbecue concept called Cooper’s Creek BBQ, combines beef and pork in a different way—by wrapping bacon around the meatloaf before baking. “I thought about all the ingredients that usually go into meatloaf and picked it apart and added some twists,” says Jay Perry, OSU’s executive chef. “I purée the mirepoix instead of dicing it. Instead of salt, I use soy sauce as my sodium. I use a finer grind on the meat and I love using panko as my breadcrumb. I serve it with cheddar mashed potatoes and grilled asparagus.”
1/2 lb. carrots
1 lb. yellow onion
1 lb. celery
2 oz. minced garlic
1 oz. olive oil
16 oz. low-sodium soy sauce
4 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
5 lb. ground beef, 80/20
3 large eggs
1 tbsp. black pepper
1 tbsp. granulated garlic
7 oz. panko breadcrumbs
24 slices pecanwood smoked bacon
6 oz. barbecue sauce
8 oz. demi-glace
4 oz. low-sodium soy sauce
1 tbsp. beef soup base
8 oz. water
- Place carrots, onion, celery and garlic into Robot Coupe. Blend well.
- Heat medium sauté pan with olive oil and sauté mirepoix. Add soy and Worcestershire sauce to pan and simmer until liquid is almost evaporated. Remove from pan and transfer to sheet pan to cool down.
- Place meat in stainless steel bowl. Add cooled mirepoix, eggs, spices and breadcrumbs. Mix well with hands by kneading meat. Separate into two halves and set aside.
- Lay out two pieces of plastic wrap, roughly 4-by-16 inches, large enough to place portions on.
- Using back of chef’s knife, stretch out bacon by additional two inches to thin out strips. Lay out bacon strips on plastic wrap, 12 slices per wrap, overlapping each piece by 1/4 inch.
- Form each meat half into loaf 4 inches in diameter and place on top of bacon slices. Brush meatloaf with BBQ Demi-Glace (recipe follows), then carefully wrap bacon around meatloaf.
- Roll plastic wrap, as if you were baking roulade or compound butter. Seal ends up and form into perfect cylinder. Wrap in foil and place in 2-inch full hotel pans.
- Bake in combi oven for 45 minutes at 240°F. Remove foil and plastic, then bake in convection oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until bacon is crispy. Brush with rest of BBQ Demi-Glace and let rest.
- Place all ingredients in saucepan and bring to a rolling simmer.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, or until sauce coats spoon.
Recipe by Oregon State University (Corvallis)