Baby Layer Cakes
Little chocolate layer cakes with chocolate espresso frosting, garnished with chocolate-covered coffee beans and chocolate curls. Great for sharing!
Chocolate cake recipe for 9-in. two-layer cake
1 tbsp. espresso powder
2 tsp. vanilla extract
8 oz. softened butter
1 tbsp. simple syrup
10 oz. semisweet chocolate, melted
2 cups powdered sugar
Chocolate-covered coffee beans and chocolate curls, for garnish
1. Line three 4-5-in. round cake pans with parchment; butter and flour parchment.
2. Prepare batter for cake. Evenly fill prepared cake pans.
3. Bake cakes in 350°F oven 30-40 min., or until they test done. Cool; peel off parchment, and split each cake horizontally into three layers.
4. Dissolve espresso powder in vanilla. With electric mixer, beat butter in large bowl until fluffy. Add espresso mixture and syrup; beat well. Beat in melted chocolate until smooth; add powdered sugar in 3 additions, beating until fluffy.
5. Assemble the cakes with three layers. Frost cake with frosting and garnish with coffee beans and chocolate curls.