Avocado-Studded Mardi Gras Fritters
These light and delicate fritters are spicy and filled with soothing avocado. A Creole flavored Mustard-Apricot sauce is the perfect accompaniment.
Creole Mustard-Apricot sauce:
1 3⁄4 cups apricot jam
1 cup Creole mustard
1⁄4 cup water
10 1⁄2 oz. all-purpose flour
1 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. baking powder
1 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. sugar
1 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. salt
4 eggs, separated
1 cup milk
1⁄2 tbsp. lemon zest
1⁄2 tbsp. thyme, chopped
6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1⁄8 tsp. cayenne pepper
4 California Avocados, 1⁄4-in. dice
1. For sauce, mix ingredients until well blended and reserve.
2. Combine dry ingredients and set aside. Beat egg yolks until light and whisk in milk, zest, thyme, garlic, and cayenne.
3. Stir in dry ingredients until mixed; if batter is too thick, add extra milk. Allow batter to rest in refrigerator at least 2 hr. or overnight.
4. Fold in avocado and reserve.
5. Whip egg whites until stiff and fold into avocado mixture.
6. To serve, drop 6 generous spoonfuls of batter, one at a time into 375°F. oil. Cook until golden brown, about 2 min. Serve with Creole Mustard-Apricot sauce on the side.