Avocado-Spiked Corn Soup
This coarsely pureed corn soup has a cayenne zing, enhanced with sweet cubes of fresh avocado.
1⁄3 cup canola oil
1 lb. 8 oz. chopped onion
1 lb. 4 oz. diced celery
8 oz. shredded carrots
3 lb. yellow corn kernels
1 1⁄2 tbsp. chopped fresh thyme
3 qts. water
Salt, to taste
Freshly ground white pepper, to taste
Cayenne pepper, to taste
1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
11 California avocados
Carrot threads, for garnish
1. Heat oil in saucepot. Sauté onion, celery, and shredded carrots until soft, about 10 min.
2. Stir in corn, thyme, water, and 1 tsp. salt; simmer 20 min.
3. Coarsely puree mixture in blender or through foodmill; return to pot. Stir in salt, white pepper, and cayenne; heat through.
4. Remove from heat; stir in lemon juice.
5. Dice 8 avocados; stir into soup. Slice remaining avocados. Use with carrot threads to garnish soup.