Avocado Citrus Salad with Marinated Onions
Winter salads have to rely on a more limited produce selection, but citrus and avocados are in ample supply. The healthful and colorful combination, topped with marinated red onions, can brighten up a winter menu.
1 medium red onion
1⁄4 cup rice vinegar
1⁄4 cup honey
1⁄4 cup water
1⁄2 cup olive oil
1⁄4 cup rice vinegar or white wine vinegar
1 tbsp. honey
1 avocado, halved, pitted, skin removed
Endive and/or small romaine lettuce spears, as needed
1 grapefruit, peeled, sliced, seeds removed
1. Prepare marinated onions: Peel and thinly slice onion. Combine rice vinegar, honey and water in jar with tight lid and shake until well blended. Add onions to jar. Shake to coat onions. Refrigerate overnight, or for at least 6 hours. Shake jar two to three times while marinating.
2. Grate 2 teaspoons of orange peel. Combine orange peel, oil, vinegar and honey in small jar with lid.
3. Pare and slice oranges; remove seeds. Slice avocado.
4. For each serving, arrange endive and/or romaine leaves in spoke fashion on individual plates. Portion oranges, avocado and grapefruit pieces onto center spokes of endive and/or romaine.
5. Lift marinated onions from liquid with fork and transfer to top of each salad. Drizzle with dressing before serving.
Photo courtesy of National Onion Association