Avocado Citrus Salad with Marinated Onions
Refreshing and healthy, this citrus salad features oranges, grapefruit and onions marinated in vinegar and honey.
1 medium red onion
1⁄4 cup rice vinegar
1⁄4 cup honey
1⁄4 cup water
1⁄2 cup olive oil
1⁄4 cup rice vinegar or white wine vinegar
1 tbsp. honey
1 avocado, halved, pitted, skin removed
Endive and/or small romaine lettuce spears as needed
1 grapefruit, peeled, sliced, seeds removed
1. To make Marinated Onions: Peel and thinly slice onion. Combine rice vinegar, honey and water in jar with tight lid and shake until well blended. Add onions to jar. Shake to coat onions. Refrigerate overnight, or for at least 6 hours. Shake jar two to three times while marinating.
2. Grate 2 teaspoons of orange peel. Combine orange peel, oil, vinegar and honey in small jar with lid.
3. Pare and slice oranges; remove seeds. Slice avocado.
4. For each serving, arrange endive and/or romaine leaves in spoke fashion on individual plates. Portion oranges, avocado and grapefruit pieces onto center spokes of endive and/or romaine.
5. Lift Marinated Onions from liquid with fork and transfer to top of each salad. Drizzle with dressing before serving.
Recipe by National Onion Association