Asian Braised Veal with Potato Salad
Asian flavorings inspire this cold veal and potato salad plate. Shredded veal is the base and is topped by potato salad that contains water chestnuts and cilantro in a lovely presentation.
1 qt. chicken stock
3 cups soy sauce
1 1⁄2 cups sugar
1⁄2 cup sake
2 yellow onions, diced large
6 green onions, chopped
4 stalks lemongrass, trimmed and chopped
1 carrot, diced large
1 stalk celery, diced large
1 head garlic, crushed
2-in. piece of ginger, crushed
6 star anise
1 cinnamon stick
2 sprigs fresh thyme
2 whole cloves
4 large potatoes, cooked, peeled, diced
6 strips veal bacon, cooked and diced
4 eggs, hard-cooked, diced
1 cup mayonnaise
2⁄3 cup water chestnuts, finely diced
1 small onion, finely diced
2 tbsp. cilantro, minced
1 tbsp. dry Chinese mustard
6-8 lb. veal chuck
1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
1 1⁄2 tbsp. cornstarch
18 cups mixed greens
1. In a large bowl, combine the first 15 ingredients. Reserve.
2. In a separate bowl, combine potatoes, bacon, eggs, mayonnaise, water chestnuts, onion, cilantro and dry mustard. Mix well and refrigerate.
3. Cut veal into 6-8 pieces and season. In a hotel pan over high heat, heat oil and sear veal on all sides until brown. Add chicken stock mixture (step 1) to pan and cover tightly with foil. Transfer pan to a 325° F. oven and roast 2 hours until veal is tender.
4. Remove veal from liquid; strain liquid and reserve 21⁄2 cups. Shred veal and toss with 1⁄2 cup braising liquid and reserve.
5. Mix cornstarch with water until smooth. Add to braising liquid and cook until mixture thickens.
6. Drizzle 2 tbsp. braising liquid across plate. Mound 5 oz. shredded veal in center. Layer 1⁄2-in. of potato salad over veal and top with 11⁄2 cups dressed, mixed greens.