Ahi Tuna Salad with Green Beans, Corn and Potatoes
Tuna makes for a great protein in a salad. This entree salad features green beans, eggs, potatoes, corn, garlic, rosemary and a caper-based dressing.
5 lbs. tuna fillet, skin off
Salt and pepper, as needed
1 tsp. ground fennel seeds
1/4 cup olive oil
Juice and grated zest of 2 lemons
4 lbs. green beans
2 lbs. fingerling or other small new potato
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
4 cloves garlic
6 hard-cooked eggs
2 lbs. heirloom tomatoes, any variety
20 cups spring mix
1 lb. olives
2 tbsp. capers
5 anchovy fillets
1 tsp. fresh garlic, chopped
2 tsp. shallots, chopped
1 tbsp. fresh tarragon, chopped
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
Grated zest of 1 lemon
3/4 cup white wine vinegar
3/4 cup olive oil
Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
1. Rub tuna with fresh ground black pepper, crushed fennel seed and kosher salt. Sear on all sides and cook for 2 mins. in oven, making sure to leave tuna pink inside.
2. Meanwhile, trim beans but leave whole, with pointy tip left on. Blanch in boiling salted water until tender-crisp. Shock in ice bath to keep green.
3. Boil potatoes with skin on in salted water with fresh rosemary, cloves of garlic, salt and pepper. Cook until potatoes can be pierced with fork but are still firm. Drain in cold water and set aside.
4. To cook eggs: Bring pot of water to boil, add eggs and cook for 7 mins. Drain in cold water and peel. Cut tomatoes in wedges.
5. To assemble salad: Toss lettuce in dressing (recipe follows) and place on platter. Toss each vegetable separately in dressing with a little kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper. Place each type of vegetable in an area of platter or plate. Break tuna into large pieces and place in middle of plate, drizzling a little dressing over tuna. Cut eggs in quarters and place three pieces on each plate.
1. Purée capers, anchovies, shallots, tarragon and garlic in food processor.
2. Add vinegar, lemon juice and zest and purée.
3. Add olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. Set aside at room temperature.
Recipe by John Muir Health, Calif.