Whole-Grain Smart Cookie, Saint Paul (Minn.) Public Schools
Angie Gaszak, R.D., nutrition specialist for Saint Paul (Minn.) Public Schools, says: “This wholesome breakfast item is made in the Nutrition Center. These cookies are packed full of whole-grain flour, oats and shredded carrots. They also include local flaxseed from a farm in Morehead, Minn., that adds heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids.”
⅛ cup ground flaxseed
⅜ cup water
1 cup softened butter
1 cup shortening
1 ½ cups sugar
1 ½ cups packed brown sugar
2 tbsp. vanilla extract
2 cups shredded carrots
4 cups quick-cooking oats
2 ⅔ cups whole-wheat flour
1 ⅓ cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. salt
1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
1. Combine flaxseed and water; set aside.
2. In large bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugars.
3. Beat in eggs, flaxseed mixture and vanilla. Add carrots and mix well.
4. Combine oats, flour, baking soda and salt. Add the creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in chocolate chips.
5. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
6. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls three inches apart onto baking sheets sprayed with cooking spray.
7. Bake at 375°F for 10 to 13 minutes, or until lightly browned.
8. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks.