This recipe was demoed at The Culinary Institute of America’s fourth annual Healthy Flavors, Healthy Kids conference in San Antonio. Jeremy West, nutrition service director for the district, says by using raisin products, half of the brown sugar was eliminated. The amount of fiber was also doubled by adding the raisin products.
8 lb. + 11 oz. ground beef
3 oz. dehydrated onion flakes
2 tsp. chopped garlic
1/4 #10 can tomato paste without salt
9 1/3 oz. raisin juice paste
2/3 cup water
1/8 #10 can ketchup
3/4 cup + 1 tbsp. cider vinegar
1 tbsp. + 2 tsp. dry mustard
3/4 tsp. ground black pepper
2/3 oz. raisin juice concentrate
3 1/3 cups water
- Brown ground beef. Drain and continue immediately.
- Add onions, garlic, tomato paste and raisin paste to beef. Mix well and allow to caramelize.
- Add water and mix well.
- Add remaining water and mix well.
- Simmer for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Serve with whole-grain bun.