Chicken Soft Tacos
These Chicken Soft Tacos from Salida Union School District in California use whole chicken breasts or turkey for a healthier kid-favorite entree. "The use of fresh cilantro, garlic and lime juice eliminates the use of traditional dry taco seasoning mixes, which are usually quite high in sodium," says Billy Reid, director of child nutrition services.
Fat-free pan spray
12 oz. chicken breast strips (raw or fully cooked) (turkey may be substituted
1 tbs. fresh garlic, chopped
¼ cup fresh lime juice
½ bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
4 whole-grain tortillas
Shredded lettuce and diced tomato for garnish
1. Warm pan until hot. Spray lightly with fat-free pan spray.
2. Add chicken breast strips. If raw cook thoroughly, if fully cooked warm completely through.
3. Add fresh garlic.
4. When garlic starts to brown, lightly deglaze pan by adding fresh lime juice.
5. Stir everything together.
6. Add chopped fresh cilantro and stir.
7. Serve on a warm whole-grain tortilla with shredded lettuce and diced tomato.