IFMA announces 2013 Silver Plate Winners
Winners include two former FSDs of the Month.
Feb. 28—The International Foodservice Manufacturers Association (IFMA) has announced the recipients of the 2013 Silver Plate Awards, which recognizes excellence in eight segments of foodservice operations. One of the winners will be named the 2013 IFMA Gold Plate Award winner at the 59th Annual Gold & Silver Plate Celebration, which will be held May 20 in Chicago.
The four winners in the non-commercial segment are:
• Business & Industry/Foodservice Management: Jay Silverstein, vice president of conference and dining services, Credit Suisse, New York
• Colleges & Universities: Ken Toong, executive director of auxiliary enterprises, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Mass.
• Elementary & Secondary Schools: Julia Bauscher, director of school and community nutrition services, Jefferson County Public Schools, Louisville, Ky.
• Healthcare: Angelo Mojica, director of nutrition and services/associate professor, UNC Hospitals/UNC Gillings School of Global Health, Chapel Hill, N.C.
Both Toong and Moijica are former FSDs of the Month, and Toong was named FSD of the Year for 2008. The other four winners of the Silver Plate are:
• Independent Restaurants/Multi-Concept: John Metz, CEO, executive chef and co-founder, Sterling Hospitality
• Chain Full Service/Multi-Concept: Harald Herrmann, president and CEO, Yard House
• Chain Limited Service: Don Fox, CEO, Firehouse Subs
• Hotels & Lodging: James Purdum, general manager of hospitality services, Penn State University
“We are honored to announce this year’s class of Silver Plate recipients,” Larry Oberkfell, president and CEO of IFMA, said in a press release. “The awards allow us to pay tribute to these outstanding individuals whose contributions advance their individual segments and the foodservice industry as a whole.”
The winners are chosen by a jury, including national trade press editors, foodservice experts, past award winners and the chairperson of the International Gold & Silver Plate Society.
Look for full coverage of the 2013 Silver Plate winners in FoodService Director's May 2013 issue.