What’s in vogue in education

Health, wellness and global flavors were among some of the topics that filtered to the top of the latest trends report from Y-Pulse, a division of research and consulting firm Olson Communications. Assessing how the tastes of the under-22 crowd are shaping the menus of tomorrow, the study has examined foodservice trends in the K-12 and college/university education segments for the past 10 years. The report is based upon feedback from multiple foodservice directors and students across the studied segments. Key findings include:

  • The idea of hiding healthy ingredients is going by the wayside—full disclosure and allergen awareness are taking on greater importance.
  • Even when it comes to snacking, millennial consumers want fresh and healthy snacks—83% considered healthfulness an important quality for their snacks.
  • 82% of colleges and universities stated that their campus has a wellness policy or program in place. Of the other 18% that did not have a formal policy, 45% said a program was pending.
  • Successful wellness programs in colleges and universities take a holistic approach including health services, athletics, recreational sports, counseling and residential life, as well as foodservice.
  • 72% of foodservice directors said they would like a new item of cooking equipment—37% of those specifically identified a combi oven.
  • 95% of foodservice directors in colleges said they use social media to connect with customers; 85% said social media tools are very important or important for promoting their venues.
  • 42% of K-12 directors noted that they were seeing more lunches being brought to school; 37% noted that the lunches often contained less healthful choices and items no longer allowed to be served in school serving lines.
  • 58% of K-12 foodservice directors say that almost all of their students expect to see ethnic foods on the menu.
  • Latin, Mediterranean and Asian flavors have been the top three ethnic cuisines for many years, but foods from the Eastern Mediterranean and North Africa are gaining interest, such as dates and za’atar.
  • When college students were asked about the factors that are most important when buying food and beverages, the top three were a simple ingredient statement, a company known for ethical practices and sustainability.

More From FoodService Director

Sponsored Content
vegetables with dip foodservice healthy menu

From Mrs. Dash Foodservice.

There was a time when healthy food meant counting calories, omitting carbs, giving up sugar and going fat-free—in other words, it was all about deprivation.

But not anymore. Today’s definition of healthy means an overall focus on nutrition and wellness that doesn’t mean giving up enjoyment. It’s all about balance: good fats, healthy carbs, better sweeteners, wholesome ingredients and satisfying flavor enhancements. It means food that customers can feel good about, at the same time that they’re enjoying the dining experience.

According to...

Industry News & Opinion

Aramark today announced a partnership with celebrity chef and TV personality Cat Cora that will put a new concept from the Top Chef star in Aramark’s North American business-and-industry accounts.

The new fast-casual concept, called Olilo by Cat Cora, promises a healthy, made-your-way menu, according to the global foodservice provider.

“By bringing together Chef Cora's award-winning brand and healthy cooking advocacy and Aramark's commitment to enriching and nourishing the lives of the thousands of consumers we serve every day, we have an opportunity to elevate the on-site...

Industry News & Opinion

Members of Congress and several advocacy groups gathered on Capitol Hill on Wednesday to highlight the potential loss of millions in state funding because of a Child Nutrition Reauthorization block grant introduced last month, and to call upon legislators to squash the bill.

The Improving Child Nutrition and Education Act of 2016 houses a statute that would provide three unannounced pilot states with block grant funding. Participating states would be exempt from federal nutrition regulations and would no longer qualify for the 6-cent reimbursement per lunch garnered by certified...

Managing Your Business
x graphic

With more retailers and operators moving toward serving “ugly” produce, it’s clear that looks aren’t everything when it comes to food. But what if an item is visually appealing—and past its expiration date?

While the consistency of food safety labeling may be in question, The National Restaurant Association encourages its members to adhere to the FDA Food Code, NRA spokeswoman Rachel Sabales says. It reads: “The day or date marked by the food establishment may not exceed a manufacturer’s use-by date if the manufacturer determined the use-by date based on food safety.”

“It’s...

FSD Resources