MenuDirections Guide to 2012 FSDs of the Month/Year
Who deserves this year's title of FSD of the Year?
At MenuDirections 2013 we will honor the 12 FSDs of the Month from 2012 and announce the 2012 FSD of the Year. The FSD advisory board and FSD staff choose the FSD of the Year, but we also want to hear from you. Take a second to look at the operators we’ve recognized this year and then head to our Facebook page—or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org —and let us know who YOU think deserves the coveted title of FSD of the Year.
JANUARY 2012: PETER FISCHBACH
Peter Fischbach is director of food services for Gourmet Dining Services at 9,500-student New Jersey Institute of Technology in Newark, N.J.
What makes Peter Fischbach FSD of the Month?
• Developing a vast series of specials and monotony breakers to keep dining fresh for customers
• Creating an authentic Indian/Asian concept as part of a larger focus on ethnic cuisines
• Working with Gourmet Dining’s sustainability coordinator to implement a rooftop garden and more local purchasing
• Promoting a healthy eating program that offers students choices rather than mandates
FEBUARY 2012: ERIC GOLDSTEIN
Eric Goldstein is chief executive of The Office of School Support Services for the New York City Department of Education.
What makes Eric Goldstein FSD of the Month?
• Creating a team that is made up of diverse backgrounds and changing the department’s management structure
• Using a data-driven approach to study the foodservice program and make identified improvements
• Increasing participation in breakfast and summer meals by using innovative techniques such as mobile trucks
• Gradually making changes to the menus to gain student acceptability while increasing the healthfulness of the items served
MARCH 2012: CHERYL SHIMMIN
Cheryl Shimmin is network director of nutrition services for Kettering Health Network in Dayton, Ohio.
What makes Cheryl Shimmin FSD of the Month?
• Hiring culinarians to create an upscale, on-trend menu
• Developing the Boulevard Bakery, a retail outlet that features the system’s housemade baked goods
• Focusing on healthy dining options without limiting choices
• Implementing room service at all eight acute-care hospitals
• Opening two new kitchens and cafeterias within the span of four months
APRIL 2012: ERWIN SCHMIT
Erwin Schmit is foodservice director for Aramark at Grainger Headquarters in Lake Forest, Ill.
What makes Erwin Schmit FSD of the Month?
• Increasing participation by more than 20% and average daily sales by nearly 15% through innovative programming
• Building close relationships with his customers through one-on-one conversations to solicit feedback and responding quickly to requests
• Using his culinary background to create new takes on successful restaurant ideas
• Challenging his staff to think innovatively and to remember to always keep improving
MAY 2012: LINDA STOLL
Linda Stoll is executive director of foodservice for 85,000-student Jeffco Public Schools in Colorado.
What makes Linda Stoll FSD of the Month?